How To Install A Microwave Above The Stove: A Guide
As residential spaces embrace the minimalist lifestyle, people find ways for space efficiency. Instead of stand-alone microwaves, homeowners want to start learning how to install microwave above stove to save on counter space. Does this sound like something you want? Keep reading to know more!
A Guide To Installing An Over-the-Range Microwave
OTR (over the range) microwaves generally come in three sizes for consumers:
- Compact: 0.5 - 0.8 cu. ft.
- Mid-size: 0.9 - 1.3 cu. ft.
- Full-size: 1.4 - 2.0 cu.ft
Before you start learning how to install microwave above stove, note the space between your wall cabinets, stove and ceiling and find a microwave that can fit.
Note: OTR microwaves come with a manufacturer's manual. Be guided by your manual as you proceed.
Step 1 - Mark the microwave's position.
- The space between wall cabinets must be at least 30 inches. You can use filler panels if you have a wider space.
- Use fasteners for your microwave's location and a support plate for installation.
- Use the wall template as a guide against the wall.
- Mark the positions of the fasteners.
- Install the wall support plate for the bottom of your microwave.
Step 2 - Mark the bottom of the cabinet shelf that will be positioned above your microwave.
- Mark the area for the microwave's power cord that will go through this area.
- Mark the area for the exhaust damper's opening
- Drill the holes and make cutouts for installation.
- Position a blower for the roof, through the wall, or for recirculation.
Step 3 - Install your microwave in its marked position.
- Position your microwave's back edge onto the wall support plate.
- Your microwave's housing should meet with the bottom of your wall cabinet.
- Slide your power cord at the bottom of your cabinet.
- With your power cord in place, position your microwave snugly against your upper cabinet.
- With assistance, put the microwave in place using fasteners on your pre-drilled holes (step 2).
Step 4 - Install your blower or damper.
- Proper ventilation is important when knowing how to install microwave above stove.
- You can use a roof cap for roof venting.
- You can use a wall cap for wall venting.
- Connect your chosen blower to the ductwork.
- Position the blower/damper on the cutout you prepared in step 2.
Things To Consider For Microwave Installation Over The Stove
1. Make sure you have a planned place for proper ventilation:
- Exhaust through the roof above your unit
- Horizontal exhaust through the wall behind your unit
2. Make sure you have the space for an OTR microwave:
- Must not be higher than 54 inches from the floor
- Must be accessible to responsible members in the house
It may seem challenging when learning how to install microwave above stove, but for the additional counter space, the DIY effort is worth it.