How To Get Smell Out Of Your Microwave: Deodorize Safely
No matter how careful you are with your appliances, especially your trusty cooking machines like the microwave, accidental spills, and splatters still happen.
If you do not wipe off residues immediately after cooking, they build up and become grime. Baked-on grease and grime get burnt in succeeding microwave sessions and give off unpleasant odors. Worse, your meals will smell the same.
This is when knowledge on how to get smell out of microwave comes in handy. We are here to give you just that.
Cleaning Your Microwave
Baked-on food residues and grease are the causes of a smelly microwave. Hence, the key to successfully deodorizing your microwave is to clean its interior first.
The process is simple. However, if your microwave had not been cleaned for quite a while, cleaning it would surely take time.
- Use a damp cloth to remove spills and debris from the microwave.
- Then, mix two-part baking soda and one-part water in a small bowl.
- Spread the mixture on any baked-on food using a paintbrush.
- Let it sit for two to three minutes.
- Take a damp sponge and gently scrub off the mixture. The baked-on food should come off with it.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe the interior clean.
After cleaning the inside of your microwave, it’s time to deodorize.
You do not need to buy commercial products to get your microwave smelling fresh again. There are household items that have been proven safe and effective in deodorizing kitchen machines. By using these, you save on money and time.
Vinegar is a common household item used in cleaning and deodorizing many kitchen tools and equipment.
- Pour water in a microwave-safe container until it is half full.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Place the container in the microwave and heat it for two minutes.
- Turn off the appliance.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes with the microwave door shut. It eliminates bad odors and also moistens stubborn stains inside your microwave.
- After, remove the container.
- Wipe the interior with a damp towel for a quick clean.
- Then, leave the door open for an hour to air dry the interior.
After this procedure, you have successfully get smell out of microwave.
Use Citrus Fruits
How natural can it get? Follow this procedure on how to get bad smell out of microwave using a lemon or some oranges.
- Slice a lemon in half or peel two oranges.
- Pour two cups of water in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Place the sliced lemon or the orange peels in the bowl.
- Put the bowl in the microwave.
- Heat it for four minutes. Do not leave the microwave unattended. Make sure the bowl does not dry up, and the fruits do not burn.
- Turn the microwave off.
- Leave the bowl inside your microwave for 12 hours. Keep the door closed.
- After 12 hours, remove the bowl from the appliance.
- Wipe down the interior with a damp towel.
- Leave the door open for an hour to air dry the interior.
You’ve learned here how to get smell out of microwave using vinegar and citrus fruits. Try any of the two methods. Your microwave will surely smell fresh and clean.