How To Deodorize A Microwave Safely
A smelly microwave could make your delicious food smell unpleasant. Why is your microwave smelly?
If you have not cleaned your microwave for a month or so, it is most likely that there are debris and baked-on food stuck inside the appliance. These residues give off the bad smell in your microwave.
Here, we will share easy tips and method on how to deodorize microwave.
Clean Your Microwave
If you have a clean microwave, it is unlikely to give off unpleasant odors. Consequently, if you have a dirty appliance, it will eventually become smelly. The smell of burnt debris of different food would mix up, even affecting the air quality in your kitchen.
Therefore, the key to successfully deodorize microwave is to clean its interior first.
The process is simple. However, if your microwave had not been cleaned for quite a while, the cleaning task will take time.
- Turn off the microwave. Make sure it is cool.
- Use a damp cloth to remove spills and debris from the microwave.
- Then, mix two-part baking soda and one-part water in a small bowl.
- Spread the mixture on any baked-on food on the walls, door, or floor of the microwave using a paintbrush.
- Let it sit for two to three minutes. If you have not cleaned the appliance for a month or so, leave the mixture for a longer time.
- Take a damp sponge and scrub off the mixture. The baked-on food should come off with it.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down the interior clean.
- Leave the door open for an hour to air dry.
Clean your microwave once a week if you are frequently using it. Or, if your time allows, you can simply wipe it down after every use. Always make sure that it had cooled off before doing so.
How Do You Deodorize A Microwave?
After cleaning the inside of your microwave, it’s time to make it smell fresh again.
There is no need to use commercial products to deodorize your microwave. There are household items that have been proven safe and effective to do the job. By using these, you save on money and time.
- Pour water in a microwave-safe container until it is half full.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Place the container in the microwave. Heat it for two minutes.
- Turn off the appliance.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes with the microwave door shut. It eliminates bad odors and also moistens stubborn stains inside your microwave.
- After, remove the container.
- Wipe the interior with a damp towel for a quick clean.
- Then, leave the door open for an hour to air dry the interior.
Lemon Or Oranges
- Slice half of a lemon or peel two oranges.
- Pour two cups of water in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Place the sliced lemon or the orange peels in the bowl.
- Put the bowl in the microwave.
- Heat it for four minutes. Do not leave the microwave unattended. Make sure the bowl does not dry up, and the fruits do not burn.
- Turn the microwave off.
- Leave the bowl inside your microwave for 12 hours. Keep the door closed.
- After 12 hours, remove the bowl from the appliance.
- Wipe down the interior with a damp towel.
- Leave the door open for an hour. This will allow the interior to dry naturally.
How to deodorize microwave is easy and inexpensive. You will surely wonder why you have not tried to do it before. It’s not too late, though. Go on and carefully follow the methods we shared here.