How To Cook Ham In The Oven: Quick Tips
Everybody loves a good ham. But guess what, we can still make excellent ham and this article will show you how. We will teach you how to cook a ham in the oven with some quick tips, because we know there's nothing like ham to get a dinner party started.
Quick Tips For Cooking Ham In The Oven
Learning how to cook a ham in the oven is easier than you think. The process is simple, and the outcome is worth it.
Roasting a classic glazed ham in the oven:
- Step 1 - Defrost the ham by bringing it to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Step 2 - While you are defrosting, preheat the oven and set it at 325 degrees F.
- Step 3 - Remove and trim any skin from the ham,
- Step 4 - Slice through the fat using a diagonal cross pattern, ensuring you don't cut the meat.
- Step 5 - If you have cloves for your ham, place them where the cuts cross.
- Step 6 - With the ham's flat side down, position it on a rack in the roasting pan.
- Step 7 - Place water into the bottom of your roasting pan.
- Step 8 - Start roasting!
- Step 9 - Use your thermometer and insert it into the thickest part of your ham. Proceed to the next step when the reading is at 130 degrees F, which usually takes 2 hours and 30 minutes to do.
- Step 10 - Set the oven to 425 degrees F and pour half of your prepared glaze over the ham.
- Step 11 - Use a brush to coat the glaze and add more water to the pan if it has already evaporated.
- Step 12 - Put the ham back in the oven and roast again, but this time, keep dripping the ham with your glaze every 10 minutes.
- Step 13 - It will take about 45 minutes until the ham becomes glossy and brown.
- Step 14 - When you see it is ready, remove from the oven and add garnish. It's ready to serve!
Baking ham in the oven:
- Step 1 - Place your ham in a roasting pan.
- Step 2 - Prepare a mixture of ginger ale and a cup of orange juice and pour it over your ham. This mixture adds flavor and keeps your ham juicy.
- Step 3 - Cover the ham or the pan with some foil, so it does not dry out.
- Step 4 - Set your oven to 350 degrees F and start baking.
- Step 5 - Drizzle some more of your mixture every 15 minutes and cover it once it's back in the oven.
- Step 6 - A 10-pound ham will take about 2 hours to bake in the oven.
- Step 7 - When you finish, remove the pan from the oven, add some garnish, and serve! This is how to cook a ham in the oven.
Whether you're hosting a party or trying to impress your family with a hearty meal, knowing how to cook a ham in the oven is an easy way to get things done. It may not be quick, but the wait is definitely worth it.